There are many methods in stimulating or improving hair growth. Did you know that the average person loses about 50 to 100 hair stands per day? But don’t worry, this is normal! The hair goes through a cycle in which our hair follicles grow, rest and eventually falls out. Although losing strands of hair is normal, excessive hair shedding may be a problem.
Here are ways you can stimulate or improve your hair growth:
- Drink lots of water. Water not only hydrates the body but helps regulate the circulatory system. This process helps feed the hair follicles which stimulates hair growth but be mindful of the amount of water you’re consuming.
- Biotin. Biotin not only helps with hair growth but it can encourage your nails to grow. It comes in a tablet ($8 – $18) or liquid ($10 – $25) form and can be mixed into smoothies.
- Brush your hair. It can stimulate the follicles and remove shed hair. Remember, too much of a good thing isn’t good. Try to refrain from too much brushing.
- Use castor oil. Castor oil is rich in Omega-9 fatty acids and vitamin E. It is very thick so use to your liking. You can leave it in your hair or rinse out after 30 to 45 minutes on the scalp. Jamaican Castor Oil ($5 – $10) or Home Health’s Castor Oil ($5 – $18) are great products!
- Eggs. Eggs are great to use in a hair mask. They’re a great source of protein!
- Essential oils. Essential oils such as peppermint, rosemary, lavender, and cedarwood stimulate growth. You can add it to your hair mask, conditioner or even shampoo.
- Cayenne Pepper. Yes, this isn’t a typo. Cayenne pepper/oil not only brings a tingling sensation to scalp but it can help with hair loss.
- Rice Water. The amino acids in rice water help to regenerate the hair which results in faster hair growth. It contains vitamins B, C, and E. Must be rinsed out of hair after 20 minutes on the scalp.
- Coconut Milk. Coconut milk contains nutrients for healthy hair and promotes hair growth.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. This product can aid hair loss and can be used as a substitute for shampoo. You can use Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar ($4 – $7).
- Green Tea. Stimulates hair growth, decreases hair loss and shedding.
- Zhou Nutrition Hairfluence. This is a nutrition-packed pill supplement that contains biotin, bamboo extract, folate, vitamins C, B12, and A, keratin, and collagen. Zhou Nutrition Hairfluence ($19 – $ 24) is a must buy!
- OGX Biotin & Collagen Shampoo and Conditioner. These two products consist of B7 biotin, collagen, and hydrolyzed wheat proteins. OGX Thick & Full Biotin & Collagen Shampoo or Conditioner‘s price varies between ($6 – $12) depending if you want one of them or a pack.
- Scissors. Yes, scissors are your friends. Trimming your split ends will help your hair to grow faster.
- Deep treatment. Deep treatments can bring moisture back to your hair and assist in hair loss, or other problem areas.
- Say no to cotton pillowcases. Cotton is known to snag hairs. You can buy a silk or satin pillow ($8 – $25).
- Wrap hair with satin or silk scarf. Satin, silk or silk-like fabric is best for a headscarf and ($5 – $12) will maintain moisture in your hair.
- Avoid heat styling tools. Always use a heat protectant when applying heat styling tools to your hair but be mindful, too much heat isn’t good for the hair.
- Avoid chemicals. Chemicals such as sulfates, isopropyl alcohol, ethanol alcohol, polyethylene glycol will make your hair brittle and prone to breakage.
- Healthy Diet. Most importantly, maintaining or having a healthy diet will show positive and drastic changes in your hair and energy.
In conclusion, these natural hair tips are beneficial to all hair types and lengths. Hair by nature takes a while to reach the length that we desire and properly maintaining your hair will heavily improve it. Just enjoy the journey!